This month we’re taking a look behind the mask of another iconic superhero–Captain America.
What will we discover about Steve Rogers? Will the information below bring you a smile? Or will you turn your back on the Cap? Read on if you dare:
- Remember skinny little Steve Rogers? The guy who hadn’t yet been given the super soldier serum? He couldn’t join the armed services because of a long list of health problems. Among them were epilepsy, scarlet and rheumatic fever, asthma, heart palpitations and exposure to tuberculosis. Throw in a family history of diabetes and cancer, and you can see why he failed to pass the screenings.
- Steve is a very strong guy, too. According to the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, he can lift 800 lbs. Know where I can score some of that super serum?
- He can’t get drunk. No matter how much he drinks, Captain America’s metabolism is too fast to allow it. Does that make him an official designated driver?
- He swore allegiance to Hydra!?! Of course not, people. It was a trick. Hydra Cap was actually a duplicate copy. The real Captain America eventually escaped his imprisonment in a Cosmic Cube. Then he vanquished the evil imposter.
- There’s actually been more than one Captain America. Sam Wilson, AKA the Falcon wielded Cap’s shield for a time.Also, back in the 1950s a guy named William Burnside discovered some super soldier serum and took on the title and shield while our Steve Rogers was still frozen. Sadly he used a bad batch and turned to the dark side. I wonder if he knows Darth Vader and company?
- Captain America may have the title “The First Avenger” but he was not an original member of the team. Iron Man, Thor, Wasp, Ant-Man and the Hulk were the real first avengers. Cap didn’t join the band until the Hulk dropped out.
- I also uncovered a couple of tidbits concerning gorgeous, hunky-licious Chris Evans. First, did you know he turned down the role three times before finally agreeing to play the part of Captain America? Secondly, he injured his bicep while filming Civil War. He described the scene with him doing a bicep curl with a helicopter as a “very unnatural position to use to stop something.” Is that why he was so reluctant to take on the role? I for one am glad he changed his mind.
- Cap is worthy. Yep, that’s right. He has lifted Mjolnir…twice. And we all know what that means, right Thor? So take a bow Captain America. You’re a very special hero.
And there you have it! Next month I’m going to be digging around in Kara Zor-El’s life. Come back and see what unusual facts you can learn about Supergirl.
A sad note for Larae, the first B2BM winner. She didn’t contact me with her mailing address, so she cannot claim the Justice League DVD. Stay tuned to see if you are the next winner! Until then remember you are Born 2Be More.