This month’s Industry Professional Interview features a great Christian who also happens to be my agent—Steve Laube. He is president of both The Steve Laube Agency and the Christian Writers Institute, and has spent more than three decades in the publishing industry. Steve is also the acquisitions editor for Enclave Publishing, an imprint of Gilead Publishing. And besides all of that, he is an eclectic reader who has a heart for speculative fiction.
SERIOUS QUESTIONS (Answers are in italics)
- What makes Enclave different from other publishers? Bethany House or Tor, for example. We focus exclusively on Science Fiction and Fantasy (aka speculative fiction) written from a Christian world-view.
- As the acquiring editor for Enclave, what do you look for first in submissions from new authors? A well written story that captures my imagination. A fresh voice inside a well-traveled genre.
- Who designs your outstanding covers? We have used a number of designers over the years. Kirk DouPonce is the best known of them.
- What is the number one piece of advice you give aspiring authors? Write a great book but work hard on creativity. At the recent Realm Makers conference I heard eleven different authors pitch their “rewriting a fairy tale” book. Eleven! None knew that there were ten other writers doing the same thing.
- If you were piloting a spaceship what would be your destination and why? The planet Bookland where reading is a source of magic and power. Where the more books you have and read the stronger you can become in mind, body, and spirit.
Oh wait…I can get that right now and don’t have to pilot a spaceship to get there… !!!
- How do you celebrate your birthday?
- Which sport is your favorite to watch? Basketball is my favorite. Followed by football. However, during the Olympics I try to watch Volleyball when it’s available. I played in high school and understand the nuances of their strategy and am amazed by the sheer athleticism of those world-class athletes.
Thanks so much for agreeing to do this interview, Steve. I know my readers are going to check out Enclave Publishing so they can catch up on all the great deals you offer.
To reach Steve you can visit his agency website where he has loads of information and a fantastic, award-winning blog that is all about different aspects of the writing world. Whether you’re already writing or just want to learn about how it’s done, be sure to sign up for it.
Congratulations Regina Merrick, you are the winner of Cinder by the talented Marissa Meyer. It’s one of my all-time favorites. I hope to be able to interview Ms Meyer one of these days. You have until October 16 to email me with your mailing address. Don’t miss your chance to own the first book in the Lunar Chronicles. I know you’ll want to get the rest of the series as soon as you finish Cinder.
That’s all for today. Don’t miss the bonus interview scheduled for October 23. I’ll be talking with an attendee to the 2018 San Diego Comic-con. He’s got a lot of great tips and insight to share. Until then remember…you are Born 2Be More.